Monday 19 September 2011

My new companion

I had a lovely time at Northampton's Vintage and Handmade Fair but completely forgot to take any pictures. So I thought I'd share my finds with you.

Do you know what it is? I've been looking for some of these for ages. I only managed to find one but snapped it up straightaway. It'll be known to the flower arrangers amongst you as a flower frog but either you dont see many these days or I'm looking in the wrong places. I suspect there are lots languishing in people's sheds. "And what are you going to do with that thing?" I hear you ask?



Why my dears doesn't it make just the perfect photo holder? I love this picture. Sorry it's not a good picture of a picture but you get the idea. A great snapshot of a little boy, yesteryear, seeing the world from a different angle!



In case I get lonely when Niobe's away at uni this typewriter promises to be "The good companion " in her absence. We'll see!


I haven't tested it yet and don't expect it to work for one minute so it won't come under the useful category. Or will it? I think it too makes a great display stand. It is currently holding the envelope of a letter (posted 1922) to my Great Aunt, who succeeded my Great Grandfather as Registrar of Births and Deaths locally. I don't have the letter, just the envelope but think that's lovely in it's own right.



I think it too makes a great display stand. It is currently holding the envelope of a letter (posted 1922) to my Great Aunt, who succeeded my Great Grandfather as Registrar of Births and Deaths locally. I don't have the letter, just the envelope but think that's lovely in it's own right.



Later this week I'm expecting distant cousins interested in family history coming to visit. I think they will like this little vignette incorporating her photo...

12 comments:

  1. I bought exactly the same model of typewriter myself a few months ago, and intend to use it - I've found a source of typewriter ribbons in Bury, you can't get the original ones anymore, but you can buty the right size ribbon and put it on the spools, drop me a line if you want the website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous typewriter! And the frog really does make a great picture holder - will look out for one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely ideas and you have really used them in a fab way.
    Lynn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like a good vignette and that is a good one! Fabulous typewriter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wend,
    I did flower arranging for my Duke of Edinburgh's Award a lifetime ago so recognised that object instantly. I remember it as a lethal weapon (in my hands anyway) but think it looks just perfect in its new role. What wonderful handwriting on that envelope. Why don't we write like that anymore? Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Wend (waving and blowing kisses)
    Not only were we on the same colour tones yesterday but I featured an old typewriter and a bracelet made with typewriter keys in my mosaic yesterday and all those lovely vintage black white and sepia tones. The reason behind the typewriter is that I visited Agatha Christie's house last week and I'll be posting about it soon but been so busy since I got back from holiday

    I was thinking about you the other day I was talking to my hubby about my childhood stamp collection and remembered giving you all those stamps. Do you still use them?

    Love
    Carolyn x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your display ideas Wend, the typewriter is beautiful. When we were in Edinburgh Isabel bought a necklace from a lady at a craft market on as part of the Fringe. It had her initial on it made from an old round black typewriter key. The lady made all sorts of quirky jewellery using the inside workings of old watches as well as small keys and old typewriter keys .
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought the flower frog was some kind of instrument of torture, but glad it isn't and that you have put it to such a good use.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to see Lesley's typewriter being put to good use, I have one in my conservatory and I do exactly the same thing with it with old postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely to see you Wends!
    I knew what 'it' was but didn't know it was called a frog!
    I love old typewriters; we have 3! I do wish my laptop had keys like that, that would be nice!
    You've made a great vignette for your relatives, so much nicer than just a few pictures plonked in a box!
    Z xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That old typewriter is a treasure - that will build up your finger muscles! Takes me back to typewriting lessons at school although I think we had slightly more modern models than your beauty. Great idea for using for displaying letters.

    ReplyDelete